DIY Pallet Wood Sign

I have been dying to make a DIY Pallet Wood Sign for a while but I wanted the perfect saying. Something that would be positive and mean something to our family as we walked past it each day. I was perusing the wood connection blog  (I used their cute frames for my gallery wall) and they did a wood sign project with this saying and it struck me like a ton of bricks. It was
PERFECT!  Exactly what I was looking for. So I got busy and went to work.

Click on over to see how I put it together:

First, I went to my family’s ranch and hit the pallet pile. They have piles, and piles of pallets they were happy to have me take a few off their hands. Just don’t go digging through pallets in crocs. I stepped on an exposed rusty nail. It hurt, not to mention I didn’t have a current tetanus booster so I headed to the doc. (I have also heard if your working with old wood you should make sure your tetanus is up to date.)

After that random drama, the next step was dismantling the pallets. I am not going to lie. This was super hard! It took me several hours and my body was achin’. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be.

After I gathered several pieces, I pulled out extra nails but left some of broken nails for the rustic look. I laid out all the boards to the approximate size and look I wanted and then put two boards going on the back to vertically to hold them all together with nails. (sorry didn’t take a pic of this…and now don’t want to take it down to take a pic…its quite heavy!)

Next, I created the stencil on my silhouette with cardstock and pieced it together with tape. I had planned to use white and accent with yellow. Now time to paint. I got lucky and my sister did most of the painting…she knows I am procrastinator with tedious jobs!

That’s it. I wrapped wire around the back of the vertical boards and hung it up. We I love it! (hubby doesn’t really ‘get’ using old wood. :)   UPDATE: I have created a more in depth tutorial on how I made the stencil for this. Check it out here: http://www.bloominghomestead.com/2012/09/pallet-sign-tutorial-part-2-stencil.html

Comments

1. 5

says

This is the perfect project for a spot in my living room! What size font did you use? I know all fonts are different but I would like a starting off point :)
    When I get mine done and post it on my blog I will link to your tutorial. Thanks for sharing!

• 9

says

Thanks, the color is a custom color from home depot. It is the main color all over my house from when we bought it but the ratio on top says (and I have no idea what this means…) CLRNT: 384th, B: 38, C:117, F: 8. I can send you a pic of the top label to take in if you need it. Just let me know. :)

2. 19

says

This is my first time at your blog. It is great and I plan on being a regular! What is the size of the overall sign and what are the size of your letters?
    Thank you!!!

3. 23

says

I absolutely LOVE this sign!!! I had just pinned it from Pinterest and then saw that you had linked it up to my party. Thanks so much for sharing at Clean and Scentsible. I will be featuring this on the weekend. The whole vignette just looks awesome!!
    Jenn :)

4. 25

says

Omgosh! When I saw this on Pinterest I literally screamed out loud…”I WANT THAT!”

I was really hoping the link was to a shop I could buy it at. It is beautiful and I love the colors. Thanks for sharing. Maybe I could summon up the motivation to go searching for a pallet.

5. 38

says

This is so pretty and such a great message! You have done a fantastic job! Thanks for sharing your talents at Gettin’ Krafty! Can’t wait to see what you have this week!

6. 44

says

This is an absolutely amazing project – I see a lot of features in your future ( I’m a clairvoyent by the way LOL )
    This is a project I definitely have to steal or let’s just say COPY –
    I love it more than I can say!
    Your newest follower – would love to have you come by and follow back when you have the time!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

7. 45

says

Wow, this sign turned out absolutely beautiful! You did a great job! It’s so exciting to turn old wood into something so creative! I’ve made one pallet wall hanging and that was for a gift…I think I’ll have to put on my creative hat and get back at it. :)
    Keep up the great work!

Jennette

8. 52

says

I’ve pinned this saying before wanting to make something with it, now you’ve given me the perfect thing. I love this! I’m just hoping my husband will go for it – he doesn’t get the old wood thing either. :)

9. 57

says

I like both the saying and the sign very much. I am hoping to write a blog post this week on charitable giving and was hoping that I might use one of your photos from this post as a title illustration (with a link back here, of course). Would that be alright with you?

10. 60

Um Marie,
    I thought we were friends, how on EARTH did I not KNOW you had a blog! You humble thing you! I actually have been coveting this since you showed it to me and got on Pinterest to see if I could find something similar for inspiration. When I stumbled across this pic that looked VERY familiar! Could you just please sell these babies? LOVE IT!
    Liz B

• 61

says

LOL Liz, because I am lame and kind of embarrassed about it! It was funny though, it took about a year before my sister stumbled across it and she was like…”hey, this lady copies everything Marie does and steals her pictures…lol”. Then she finally realized it was me. :) I’m just lame like that and its fun to blog without it being too “serious”. :)

• 63

says

Patrick, I did not treat the wood and it was pretty clean when I started dismantling the pallets, however I have heard that you need to be careful when using pallets in your projects. Since this was a personal project…I wasn’t quite as concerned.

11. 71

says

This is so lovely and that is the perfect inspirational quote without being too sappy. I saw a picture of this on Pinterest a few months ago, but the actual link was broken. I’ve been searching the web for the original project for months, and I FINALLY FOUND IT! Thank you for putting up this tutorial, I’ve got my eye out for pallets now!

12. 75

says

I love the sign but was wondering what color your walls are painted. I’m remodeling my house right now and have been looking all over for the perfect neutral. THanks for any info

13. 80

Marie,

I am amazed that you were able to dismantle that pallet. I took a swing at one in my garage this afternoon in hopes of creating a similar sign and there was NO WAY I was going to get that thing dismantled! Kudos to you for ripping it apart on your own!

The sign is adorable. I love the saying and the colors. Maybe someday I will figure out how to make one of my own without taking apart a pallet!

Jen

• 81

says

Thanks Jen…and yes dismantling pallets is so NOT easy!! I had no idea when I started how difficult it really would be. I finally got a technique going with 2 huge hammers and it still took me several hours.

14. 85

says

I am considering trying to recreate this sign as I love love love it and was just thinking that maybe it would be easier to do the stencil on big poster board? This way it would keep the words together since the silhouette will cut without a mat as well as cut pretty much any length i think (I’m new to using it). I would just need to cut the width of the paper to the size of the letters. I’m excited to get started. Thanks for sharing!

15. 88

says

LOVELY! This is definitely on my “To Do” list. Random question: where did you get the little slide calendar pictured on the desk? It’s so cute!

16. 90

Tiffany Salas says

Found this on Pinterest and I absolutely LOVE it. I also was wondering if you happen to sell your stencils? As I do not own a silhouette either.

Trackbacks