Last week I mentioned that I had the opportunity to create a few projects for Joanns Winter Lookbook. When thinking of winter, I wanted to create something cozy. I decided to make some Easy Envelope Pillow Covers out of a few soft cozy fabrics. These are pretty easy to make and creating slipcovers for pillows is a great way to update your decor without breaking the bank!
I’ve shared a visual tutorial for how I make these envelope pillow covers and you can find it here, so I’ll just share the directions today. It is such a fun way to change up the look of a room by switching out the accent pillows. I sometimes switch them out with the seasons or holidays.
Here are the supplies you’ll need:
- 3/4 yard Grey Velour Upholstry Fabric
- 1/2 yard faux fur fabric
- Coordinating threads
- Rotary Cutter
- Sewing Machine
- 4 Wooden Buttons
- 24×24 pillow insert
- 12×18 pillow insert
- Basic One Piece Envelope Pillow Cover 24”x24”
- Trim grey fabric 25” by 54” with rotary cutter.
- Fold over fabric on short ends (25” width) and hem.
- Fold length of fabric onto itself, right sides together, Measure your square to be 24”.
- Pin to hold it together.
- Sew each open edge with straight seam with 1/2” seam allowance.
- Remove pins and turn it right side out.
- Using coordinating thread, sew buttons onto outside flap enclosure, only for added embellishment.
- Add in pillow insert to Envelope Pillow Cover.
Faux Fur Envelope Pillow 12”x18”
- Repeat steps above with fabric 19”x 30” for 12×18” pillow envelope.
I was so excited to work on these projects for Joanns and I love how they turned out! My kids fight over who get to use the ‘fuzzy’ pillows. 🙂 I’m really wanting to cover a bean bag in the faux fur as well…stay tuned to see how that works out.
I link to these parties here.