Last week I mentioned that I had the opportunity to create a few projects for Joanns Winter Lookbook. When thinking of winter, I wanted to create something cozy. I decided to make some Easy Envelope Pillow Covers out of a few soft cozy fabrics. These are pretty easy to make and creating slipcovers for pillows is a great way to update your decor without breaking the bank!
I’ve shared a visual tutorial for how I make these envelope pillow covers and you can find it here, so I’ll just share the directions today. It is such a fun way to change up the look of a room by switching out the accent pillows. I sometimes switch them out with the seasons or holidays.
Here are the supplies you’ll need:
- 3/4 yard Grey Velour Upholstry Fabric
- 1/2 yard faux fur fabric
- Coordinating threads
- Rotary Cutter
- Sewing Machine
- 4 Wooden Buttons
- 24×24 pillow insert
- 12×18 pillow insert
- Basic One Piece Envelope Pillow Cover 24”x24”
- Trim grey fabric 25” by 54” with rotary cutter.
- Fold over fabric on short ends (25” width) and hem.
- Fold length of fabric onto itself, right sides together, Measure your square to be 24”.
- Pin to hold it together.
- Sew each open edge with straight seam with 1/2” seam allowance.
- Remove pins and turn it right side out.
- Using coordinating thread, sew buttons onto outside flap enclosure, only for added embellishment.
- Add in pillow insert to Envelope Pillow Cover.
Faux Fur Envelope Pillow 12”x18”
- Repeat steps above with fabric 19”x 30” for 12×18” pillow envelope.
I was so excited to work on these projects for Joanns and I love how they turned out! My kids fight over who get to use the ‘fuzzy’ pillows. 🙂 I’m really wanting to cover a bean bag in the faux fur as well…stay tuned to see how that works out.
I link to these parties here.
Natasha Straight says
So cute! Love that chair, too, btw!!
I couldn’t possibly be more in love with this pillow cover! And you make it sound so easy! Thank you SO much for sharing it this week at the Frugal Crafty Blog Hop!!!
Carissa Rasmussen says
but that chair though! Gorgeous! I will probably be linking to this as the tutorial for how to do an envelope pillow cover for an upcoming vinyl post. xoxo
Awesome thanks so much Carissa. I love that chair too!