DIY Barnwood Shutters

#DIY #Wooddecor #homedecor #falldecor

I have been totally inspired by all the shutter projects out there and fell in love with the look of barnwood shutters. Specifically the ones found here. I have looked everywhere and could not find any…so I decided to make my own version. Now, this DIY Barnwood Shutters project would have been a breeze if I would have had some real tools…but I made it work. (Keep in mind I am NOT a builder…so I am sure there is a better way to go about this…lol)

#diy #wood #walldecor #shutters #woodshutters #wooddecor #burlapwreath

I went to Home Depot and got some standard (1×3) pine boards. I had them cut them 36″ long. I then got some (1×2) boards that were just at the end of the isle and I took the home and cut them myself. I can’t remember how many of those I bought. I think they were 8 feet long so I bought 2, but not sure. Anyways, I bought miter box and saw to help with my cuts. Now…this is the first time I have used a miter box, and maybe I am just a wimp…but it was so hard. I knew better than to ask my husband….he would have just mocked the idea and said we don’t need barn shutters in our house! :) So I tackled this all on my own. Anyways, this project was kind of just me using trial and error. I cut the boards and then cut cardboard to use as spacers.(I have my measurements diagrammed at the bottom of this post)

I set out my angled piece and put that in place so I knew where I would want my top cross pieces. I clamped these and used liquid nails to set them in place.

After I got them all set in place I used a few finishing nails by hand to secure the pieces. Then I sanded it down a little but wanted to leave these kind of raw. I wanted these to look natural and like old barn shutters uneven and all. I used white paint that I watered down a little so that after I painted them the wood grain would still be visible. Kind of white washed.

For easy hanging, I attached picture hanging wire to the back of each shutter.

And here are my shutters. I’m pretty happy with how they turned out especially since I am such an amateur!

And my current holiday decor.

Here are my rough measurements:

And there you have it, gorgeous DIY Barnwood Shutters!

Comments

1. 5

says

You did such a great job on this. And wonderful styling, too! I’ve been thinking of making some shutters for the outside of my house for a while now. (But since I don’t own any power tools I have been putting it off…)

2. 9

says

This is perfect! Beautiful job! Don’t tell my husband this is possible since I just bought some shutters at an antique sale last weekend… hehe! I’m a new follower, love your ideas and would love to have you stop by my new blog Burlapandbuttons.blogspot.com…

3. 22

says

Looks beautiful! I love your wreath too! Thanks so much for linking up to The Creative Spark. I’ll be featuring this tomorrow! Enjoy the rest of your weekend and I hope to see you again on Tuesday night.
    Jenn ;)

4. 25

says

They look beautiful! Thanks for linking up with us and hope you join us again this Wednesday! Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Marie
    mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

5. 26

says

Thank you so much for linking up to Show and Share last week. Make sure to come back this week with your latest project. I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I featured your DIY barnwood shutters come on over to see what I had to say and grab a featured button from my sidebar. Thank you.

A mommy’s life…with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

6. 31

says

Thank you for all the tutorials you are offering. There are are number of tutorials that is definitely on my list for trying.

I love the creativity that you offer.

It is so inspiring. And I also love reading the comments. There are no boring people here. Everyone I can learn from

M

Mireille

7. 35

says

I came across your blog while blog hopping. Love these shutters! I am pinning this on Pinterest. Actually I’ve been all around your blog and pinning recipes, printables and more. Thanks for everything, love your blog! : )