Anyone who has ever tried a Swig Cookie knows how truly delicious they are. Basically they are a delicious sugar cookie with a somewhat crisp outside and a soft chewy center. Served cold with room temerature icing….they are so yummy! I was craving these the other day so I decided to whip up some Swig Cookies-Patriotic Style.
I came across this recipe a few years ago and I have used them to roll out my shaped cookies ever since. The last time I made these and we were eating them we couldn’t believe how much they tasted like Swig Cookies! This recipe has quickly become a family favorite and making them swig style has been pretty on point. One note: I made my cookies kind of thicker so they would retain that chewy center. This recipe made about 17 cookies. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour-add 1-2 Tbls extra if necessary for slightly thicker consistency.
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Additional sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ C Sour Cream
- 5-7 Cups powdered Sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1-2 Tbls milk to make frosting spreadable
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla; mix well.
- Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Roll top half of cookie ball in sugar.
- Place on greased baking sheet; flatten with a glass slightly, be sure to leave enough for a thicker chewy center.
- Bake 6-10 minutes or until set.
- Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Mix icing and add desired food coloring.
- Frost and enjoy!
Looking for more delicious treats?
Chocolate Chip Brownie Cookie Bars
Patriotic Rice Krispie Treats
I link to these parties here.